Forum de l'union médicale: Tunisie,Algérie,Maroc

Soyez le bienvenu sur FUMED (Forum de l'Union Médicale).

What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? Fumed10

Rejoignez le forum, c’est rapide et facile

Soyez le bienvenu sur FUMED (Forum de l'Union Médicale).

What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? Fumed10

Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Espace de discussion scientifique pour les praticiens médicaux et para-médicaux des pays maghrébins francophones (Algérie, Tunisie, Maroc)

Do you like FUMED

Connexion

Récupérer mon mot de passe

Derniers sujets

» Pathologies maternelles et grossesse + Infertilité: Prise en charge globale et thérapeutique
What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? I_icon_minitimeAujourd'hui à 01:02 par LESDIAPASONS

» Infertilité: Prise en charge globale et thérapeutique
What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? I_icon_minitimeAujourd'hui à 01:00 par LESDIAPASONS

» TABLEAUX plusieurs cours PHISIOPATH DANS UN seul fichier #Physiologie
What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? I_icon_minitimeHier à 05:18 par lmannose92

» Livres Médicales – Maitriser la Radiographie du Thorax
What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? I_icon_minitimeHier à 05:02 par lmannose92

» Guide d'antibiothérapie pratique
What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? I_icon_minitimeMer 01 Mai 2024, 18:49 par arafatyou

» Urgences médicales: La référence incontournable ‎VUIBERT 7e édition 2024 pdf gratuit#Urgences
What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? I_icon_minitimeMar 30 Avr 2024, 22:36 par fatma100

» Ordonnances 2024 - 220 prescriptions courantes
What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? I_icon_minitimeMar 30 Avr 2024, 22:34 par fatma100

» Découvrez la nouvelle collection des fiches E-lisa de VG, mises à jour avec la dernière édition des Collèges.???????? #collections pdf gratuit
What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? I_icon_minitimeMar 30 Avr 2024, 22:31 par fatma100

» MEGA collection EMC complet 2020 toutes les spécialités (21livres) pdf gratuit
What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? I_icon_minitimeMar 30 Avr 2024, 22:28 par fatma100

» Livres Référentiels des Collèges en téléchargement (32livres) gratui pdf
What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? I_icon_minitimeMar 30 Avr 2024, 22:27 par fatma100

» collection livre IKB les dernières édition 2024 gratuit
What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? I_icon_minitimeMar 30 Avr 2024, 22:25 par fatma100

» Collection des très bien classés pour les ECNi/EDN 2024
What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? I_icon_minitimeMar 30 Avr 2024, 22:23 par fatma100

» Ophtalmologie pédiatrique Rapport SFO 2017 pdf
What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? I_icon_minitimeMar 30 Avr 2024, 20:06 par BEKKOUCHE

» TRAITÉ DE RHUMATOLOGIE - 1300 Pages :
What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? I_icon_minitimeMar 30 Avr 2024, 09:16 par zebra1964

» Atlas De Poche De Mycologie
What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? I_icon_minitimeMar 30 Avr 2024, 09:15 par zebra1964

Pour établir un PARTENARIAT avec FUMED contactez l'administration du forum en cliquant ici:

free counters
Le Deal du moment : -20%
Ecran PC GIGABYTE 28″ LED M28U 4K ( IPS, 1 ms, ...
Voir le deal
399 €

3 participants

What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer?

MIRAGE
    MIRAGE
    Admin
    Admin

Masculin Messages : 2277
    Emploi : Medical student

What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? Empty What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer?

Message par MIRAGE Mer 02 Juin 2010, 23:35

Question:

I don't have any firm plans yet for the summer, and I was wondering, what's the best use of my time off from medical school?

With this question, chances are good that you're a preclinical medical student or a premed undergraduate, because the challenge of what to do with a summer will soon be irrelevant. Your scheduled clerkships and residency block schedule will settle any uncertainty! It may seem that this decision could make or break your future; if so, the stress of not lining something up already may be mounting. Fear not. There are still opportunities.
    Research

Even if you do not pursue an academic career, a research experience is valuable to have under your belt when applying for medical school and residency, both for the distinction of it and for understanding how medicine is innovated.
    So, how do you get into a lab? By this time in the year, it may be too late to apply for research funding, and professors may be hesitant to shell out a summer salary for a student who has no research experience. So you have to focus on selling yourself. Use any connections you have. MD/PhD students in your class may be able to point you to a graduate student or post-doc who needs some extra hands. In many cases, your basic science professors run their own labs; ask if they'd be willing to take on a hard-working student. Don't lose heart if you don't get a job on your first inquiry. You may need to ask 10 professors before you find a position.
    Can you afford to work for "free," taking the experience and possibly academic credit in place of payment? Perhaps you could work half-time as a student assistant, washing glassware and stocking the lab. When you ask about the possibility of working in a lab, be sure to clarify (1) that you will have a well-defined project and (2) what the working arrangement and funding situation are. Then, commit yourself to the work. The researchers you work with will want to see your effort more than your results. But if you can become a coauthor on a published manuscript, even better!
    Teaching

Universities often run summer enrichment courses for prospective students. Look around campus to see if there are programs or camps in need of teachers. The engineering college may have a science program geared toward prospective high school students, or your medical school may have a summer minority achievement program for premedical students. You'll have to demonstrate some teaching skills to get a position like this, but if it's teaching that you want to do over the summer, chances are good you've already developed an interest in education. Also, remember those great teachers who helped you prep for the MCAT? The services that offer such courses are generally good employers.
    Volunteer

The last time I checked, there were numerous opportunities in the healthcare field for volunteers. You may recall this vital element of your medical school application. The importance of volunteering doesn't fade as you become more accomplished, but the frequency of busy students volunteering often does.
    Dedicated service can make you stand out. You're getting old enough to qualify as a Big Brother/Big Sister or similar mentor. As a medical student, you are uniquely qualified to be a patient visitor or a health educator. Often, volunteering can cater to your schedule, too. Your summer off may provide you a chance to give back in ways you'd otherwise not have time for.
    International Travel

More and more students and residents make international electives part of their training. It's a little late to plan one for this summer, but if you think that international health could be an option for you, there is much learning that comes simply from spending time in the developing world. Chances are good that you'd be "backpacking it," sleeping in hostels, and meeting local residents. An extended stay is an ideal opportunity to learn about a culture or improve your language skills.
    You may even identify a location or need for a future long-term medical mission. Obviously, this option costs more than the others, but many students before you have traveled on a shoestring budget; books and Websites are dedicated to helping you do it. You may even be able to find service opportunities that help you with lodging for part of your time.
    That Nonmedical Interest

One option overlooked by medical students is to pursue a passion for a few months that they may not be able to devote an extended period to in the future. In the summer, outdoor opportunities abound. One of my colleagues hiked the Appalachian Trail. Another was a whitewater guide. (Both ended up in emergency medicine with interests in wilderness medicine!) Another friend spent a summer painting and sculpting. She now has several gallery shows a year, even while she practices medicine full-time.
    Whether you work for your family's business or find a job to pay the bills, it's possible to seek out positions that will bring you enjoyment while opening doors to an enriching future that combines medicine with your personal passion.
    Vacation

It's called vacation for a reason. You have worked hard during school, and it's only going to get more difficult! Taking an extended vacation is not a bad idea, especially considering this could be the last time in a while that you will have the chance for a multiple-week trip. Maybe that will include a nonmedical interest, volunteering, or international travel; there is nothing wrong with taking some time off. But I'd recommend choosing from one of the above categories for the rest of your summer. Whether it's your mom or an admissions officer, someone is bound to ask that age-old grade-school question: "What did you do with your summer?" Make sure you have a good answer!

Response from Thomas E. Robey, MD, PhD
    Resident, Emergency Medicine, Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Connecticut
    farmoonlight
    farmoonlight
    Membre fidèle
    Membre fidèle

Féminin Messages : 91
    Emploi : Etudiante

What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? Empty Re: What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer?

Message par farmoonlight Jeu 03 Juin 2010, 08:55

That is a good plan but i will add to it somthing else (slipping What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? 813774 )
    ECHOCADIOGRAPHEUR
    Membre hyper-actif
    Membre hyper-actif

Masculin Messages : 992
    Emploi : MEDECIN PRIVE

What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer? Empty Re: What Should I Do Us a médical student Over the Summer?

Message par ECHOCADIOGRAPHEUR Sam 10 Juil 2010, 01:35

It's easy to talk about significant numbers of lost time way but as physicians, I believe that our work does not know, in any case, rest.
    fachéé

Contenu sponsorisé

Message par Contenu sponsorisé

La date/heure actuelle est Ven 03 Mai 2024, 03:59